Sunday, February 14, 2010

Adventures in Truffles



This year, I'm trying to make a conscious effort to make gifts instead of buying them. I've already learned this makes holidays and special occasions simultaneously more stressful and more enjoyable.

For Valentine's day this year, I thought about buying all of the cheap pink and red crap that lines the aisles of Wal*Mart. I mean, my children need yet another stuffed animal to collect dust in their rooms, right? They may think that, and sometimes I like to indulge, but not this time. Ideally, I would have loved to have knitted them something. But, I'm still trudging through my baby blanket and I want to stay focused on it. So instead, I decided to cook something. Valentine's Day is all about chocolate anyways, right?

This was my first attempt at making truffles. I think they turned out fairly well. I took 10 ounces of cream cheese and mixed them with 3 cups of powdered sugar and 1/4 cup (ish) of cocoa powder. Really, I didn't measure and just added the cocoa powder to taste. After chilling the filling and shaping them into vague ball like shapes. Then I melted a package of chocolate chips (12 ounces) and dipped the balls into them. This yielded me 24 truffles.

Truffles about a morning to do. The whole process was pretty simple, but I was a bit tired of chocolate when I was done! My entire family loved them. And they were much, much cheaper than buying a cardboard heart of stale chocolates. And better too! This is definately a skill I'd like to prefect. I want to get better at shaping the truffles and get a little creative with fillings and toppings.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment